Tuesday 23 June 2009

Tannadice Park (Dundee Utd v Celtic)

On Sunday 22nd March 2009 Martijn and I took the train to Dundee to see the Terrors take on Celtic at Tannadice Park. The train journey was comfortable and reasonably short, one hour and 25 minutes, and we arrived in Dundee with about 50 minutes to spare. For some reason I had not done my regular pre-match research but we started walking in what later turned out to be the right direction. Not wanting to take a chance getting completely lost we took a taxi to the ground from Dundee city centre.

  After we arrived at Tannadice the first stop was the ticket office as one of the tickets that we had ordered over the phone was missing one of the 'to be given up' stubs and I was determined not to make an overzealous steward's day. After we were given a replacement ticket we headed for our seats in the George Fox Stand.

  To my surprise the complete West Stand, as well as the entire Jerrie Kerr Stand, were allocated to the Celtic fans. The Eddie Thompson Stand and George Fox Stand were the home stands.

 
The Eddie Thompson Stand.

  The Jerry Kerr Stand.

The West Stand.

The game was one of the more entertaining SPL matches I have seen this season. After Scott McDonald put Celtic ahead in the first half United were lucky to be only 1-0 down at half time. However after Francisco Sandaza scored two early goals in the second half the Terrors looked like winning this game until Lee Naylor equalised six minutes before time with a lovely volley.

 
Everyone knows how close to each other the two Dundee grounds are. Here you can see the Dens Park floodlights looking over the West Stand. After the game one of the gates at Dens Park was opened by a groundsman enabling me and a few Celtic fans to sneak in and take a few pictures until Tayside's finest requested us politely to move along.

The George Fox Stand after the game.

Again the George Fox Stand.

It was an entertaining day out in Dundee. After the game we walked back to the town centre and had a few post-match drinks and some grub in The Counting House, the obligotary Wetherspoon's pub, before we headed back to Glasgow. I hope to be back for the 2009/2010 season to visit a game at Dens Park.

 
Panorama shot.

Sunday 22nd March 2009
Scottish Premier League
Dundee Utd 2 Celtic 2
Dundee Utd: Sandaza 47, 58. Celtic: McDonald 24, Naylor 81.
Att: 12,043

5 comments:

  1. Do you take panorama shots at any other grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a basic camera that does not make panorama shots so I basically stitched shots together with a free application called Autostitch. This does not always look great and can be time consuming, which is why I stopped doing them but there are a few more examples on this site, e.g. Kilmarnock, Man City (see also the 'My Football Travels' title banner), Newcastle and Stirling. For good panoramas of Scottish grounds visit the site of the Finnieston Groundhoppers: http://groundhoppers.org.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work mate keep up the good jod,DUFC till i die

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it's far too late to matter now, but the Eddie Thompson stand is always exclusively for home supporters. The Jerry Kerr stand (the original main stand from the 1960s) bends round the corner of the pitch, and is sometimes given to travelling supporters, but the George Fox and ET stands are always United supporters only, and total around 8,000 of the 14,000 capacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your comment and sorry it took me almost two years to moderate it. I am not sure if I mixed up the stands when I wrote this, it's been eleven years, but I take your word for it!

      Delete

Stair Park (Stranraer v East Stirlingshire)

I have to admit, I have not been at that many football games lately. One of the reasons is that last season I started following new ice hoc...